Spring Lookbook 2013

Friday, September 21, 2012

DIY instant Dorthy Draper all during naptime

Inspiration: Dorothy Draper meets Newlywed furniture
My mother and I ventured into Southern Virginia prior to my wedding date to fill a truck with furniture for our new home.  John and I were moving to San Francisco for our first jobs, right out of college, and not a dime to our names. This was the first piece that we purchased.  Cost $200 circa 2000.


This desperately needed a make-over after 11 years of marriage and three children later.  This is home to every Barney DVD under the sun, random "husband" papers to the left and "mom" papers to the right. The look I was going for was antique, vintage, Dorothy Draper. Here are the photos of the steps that I took to complete this project.  Start to finish 1 hour.  Cost $25.

First, I took all the drawers out sanded it lightly with some sandpaper.  Then I spray painted it black with Rust-oleum 2 coats in flat black--1 coat was plenty


Next I did the drawers. I didn't even tape.



Next I taped just the top drawers so I could use a metallic paint with a small, natural brush to make it look rustic around the edges of the top drawers. I used Modern Masters in semi opaque brass ME289. This took 20 minutes to do all the drawers.
This is the final product.  Ignore the emptied out contents of the drawers on my dining room table in the background! Much better and a statement piece for a fraction of what it would cost me to buy.  My next step is the wallpaper the inside with something fabulous like this:






Schumacher Chenonceau in Coral
Materials: Blue masking tape
Sand Paper sheet
2 bottles Rust-oleum flat black 2 in 1 paint
1 small bottle Modern Masters Metallic Paint in Brass










3 comments:

  1. Love it in black with the metallic finish on the top drawers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean! The metallic paint is so easy to work with. When I come to Virginia next time we can do this to something at your house! Love and miss you! Beverly

      Delete
  2. This is fabulous! I can't believe it's the same piece of furniture, and what's more I can' t believe you did this in an hour! This is making me rethink all my furniture choices...

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis